Hair oiling and scalp massage are truly holistic therapies that have been practiced for thousands of years in the Indian subcontinent. This ancient health and beauty technique not only benefits our hair and scalp but it is also excellent stress reliever, and as most of know very well, when we are calm and relaxed we automatically look younger and more youthful. In India it is customary for family members to give each other weekly scalp massages to condition the hair, balance the scalp and aid relaxation. Although it is always more beneficial and enjoyable to receive a scalp massage from someone else, self treatment is also very beneficial.
The main benefits of hair oiling and scalp massage:
Strengthens hair roots by improving blood circulation under the scalp.
Natural deep conditioning for dry, unmanageable hair.
Helps in the detoxification of the scalp by loosening dead skin cells.
Stimulates hair growth, especially when stimulating essential oils and extracts are used.
An excellent stress relieving technique, inducing a sense of psychological wellbeing and deep relaxation.
How to do a hair oily treatment:
* Before starting the treatment it is best to protect clothing with a towel / robe and remove all jewelery.
* Heat a small amount of hair oil to a comfortable temperature (the oil should feel warm to the touch)
* If your hair is long, divide it in to sections.
* Dip your fingers in the oil and section by section apply the oil ensuring all hair is covered. Avoid using too much oil as it will difficult to wash out.
* When oiling is complete, massage the scalp for 5 to 10 minutes. To enhance the therapeutic benefits the oil may be left on for a couple of hours or even overnight.
* Wash hair thoroughly with a good shampoo and follow with conditioner.
It is important that a good quality hair oil is used for this treatment, products based on mineral oils and synthetic ingredients can compromise the benefits considerably.
Ingredients to look out for in a good hair oil are:
Macadamia nut oil (preferably cold pressed and organic) an excellent hair conditioner, replenishes vital moisture by penetrating the hair shaft
Argan oil (preferably cold pressed and organic) is a great source of vitamin E and essential fatty acids, especially recommended for dry flaky scalp and brittle hair
Neem oil / extract. A powerful antifungal, antiviral, antiseptic and antibiotic. Calms, soothes and balances problem scalps. Especially good for itchy scalps.
Rosemary oil. The oil of choice for promoting healthy, shiny hair. Especially good for encouraging hair growth and strengthening hair roots.
Indian Gooseberry (Amla) An excellent source of vitamin C, used in the indian subcontinent for centers for promoting healthy, shiny and lustrous hair.
Source by Marisa Kahn