Do you find that your skin has lost its luster? Let’s face it, radiant and fresh-looking skin is sometimes hard to achieve. You want your skin tone to be as even as possible. Your skin should be supple, soft, and blemish-free. To get that look you’ve always wanted, you might have already resorted to using certain commercial creams. But improving your complexion isn’t always as straightforward or safe as you may think. There are many dangerous substances included in popular skin whitening creams that you may not know about.
Let’s take a look at some of the things you must remain cautious of if you’re considering using a skin whitener. Be on the lookout for the following harmful ingredients:
1. Mercury derivatives – Absorbing these substances through your skin can lead to serious kidney problems, mental problems such as irritability and depression, and neurotoxic problems such as hearing and speech problems and ataxia.
2. Hydroquinone – This dangerous substance, used in some skin whitening products, has been found to cause cancer in lab tests. It can also cause a condition called ochronosis, a darkening and thickening of the skin with occasional spots.
3. Topical steroids – These creams or ointments might reduce the appearance of skin blemishes, but they also could be equally responsible for problems like eczema, acne, bacterial and fungal infections, skin atrophy, and pigmentation disorders.
4. Dioxane – This is an artificial coconut derivative that is commonly found in various skincare products. Like hydroquinone, some studies have found it to be carcinogenic.
5. Mineral oil – This extremely common ingredient may go by several different names, such as liquid paraffin, petrolatum, and paraffin wax. Because it is so inexpensive, mineral oil can be found in almost every kind of skin care product. The problem is that once it is applied, it clogs your pores and prevents your skin from “breathing”. In addition, mineral oil also interferes with your skin’s natural ability to eliminate toxins, and can cause pimples and acne. Worst of all, this substance contributes to premature skin aging.
6. Alcohols – Though these harsh agents don’t all have the same properties, what they do have in common is a tendency to irritate your skin and dry it out. The list includes isopropyl alcohol, benzyl alcohol, ethanol, ethyl alcohol, and methanol.
7. Fragrances – Many attractive scents found in skincare products are made from ingredients that are known to be toxic or carcinogenic.
With so many dangerous or dubious ingredients, it’s no wonder why skin lightening is on its way out, and skin brightening is in. Skin brighteners such as Revitol use natural, non-toxic ingredients, with no harmful additives that could damage your skin or your health. These ingredients include shea butter, grapefruit seed extract, evening primrose oil, and vitamins A, C and E. Skin brighteners are excellent alternatives to skin whiteners or skin lighteners, keeping you at your best while remaining absolutely safe to use.